Wednesday, January 30, 2013

16 weeks 3 days - somewhat annoyed

16 weeks and counting....

As I get further into my pregnancy, I am amazed at how many people have an opinion about how I "should" feel or what I "should" do or "should" think.

I know there are some people who do not want to hear my complaining when I am having a bad day or feeling like crap because they think I should be cartwheeling or backflipping due to finally being pregnant. Now, I understand to a degree where they are coming from because we are THRILLED at all of this - to the point words fail me to explain.

HOWEVER:

I am still a first time mom who has NEVER experienced this before, it's all brand new and scary to me. I don't know what's going on in my body from day to day (sometimes minute to minute feels so unknown), it feels different and I am in an adjustment phase for all this - so somedays I am just completely overwhelmed both positively and negatively. I am pregnant, which means I can be the following in any order and all at once: sad, scared, mad, confused, frustrated, happy, nervous, excited, anxious, sentimental, overwhelmed, etc.

This is a whole new ballgame for me - I don't think there is a particular way I should feel because so much is so unknown to me. I have read the books, talked to people who have gone through it before to make sure I am not way out of bounds.

We can't wait to be parents, it's what we have been working toward for such a long time, but that doesn't mean that makes me into a person who isn't scared to death and gets overwhelmed from time to time. We are so excited about it all because we have been to hell and back to get to this point, spent a small fortune, and had our relationship tested time and again with the stress. We are still going strong (I would say stronger, to be honest) but that does not change us from being first time parents who are adjusting to the changes we are experiencing right now, let alone all the changes to come.

No one tells other pregnant women that they should just get over it when they are having a bad/sad/overwhelemed day, so why am I any different???

Okay, I am climbing down off my soap box now.


How far along? 16 weeks and 3 days
Total weight gain: I have been working hard at spreading out my eating throughout the day to help me get more nutrition, so hopefully at my appointment next week, I will have at least maintained if not have gained a little bit of weight
Maternity clothes? that's what I am fitting into right now, all maternity pants
Stretch marks? No new ones
Sleep: I bought a pregnancy sleeping pillow which seems to be helping some with the sleeping issues, a few more hours of sleep makes a huge difference for me
Best moment of the week: Buying some adorable new clothes for baby girl - we are blessed to get lots of hand-me-downs, but some new clothes for the new baby is a necessity for us :-) A little bit of spoiling never hurt anyone
Miss anything? Not really
Movement: No, but it should be coming pretty quickly - the next few weeks
Anything making you queasy or sick: No more queasy!! Thank goodness
Gender prediction: We are going with girl until we are told otherwise
Labor signs: Nope
Symptoms: strong smells is the killer one for me right now
Belly button in or out? In
Wedding rings on or off? the rings are on, most of my bloat is gone
Happy or moody most of the time? lately is a flip-flop between happy and sad. Last night, I started crying for no reason whatsoever when getting ready for bed! Caught me off guard and I cried for over 15 minutes straight - still not sure what that was all about!
Looking forward to: the next ultrasound which should be somewhere between 18-22 weeks to do a more in depth anatomy scan for development as well as hopefully confirm for me that she's doing all right in there and growing strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment