Wednesday, February 1, 2012

30 Day Blogging Challenge - Day 3 "Opinion on drugs and alcohol"

Drugs and alcohol are hot topics amongst many people. Some people feel as though both should be illegal due to the ability of access to them which can lead to addiction and excess. However, I feel as though if you as an adult make the decision to do either of these things, then you need to be able to accept the consequences (positive or negative) that are attached to them.

Drugs - I am not one who has tried drugs. I have an incredibly low tolerance for pain meds, so it has made me weary of doing any kind of drugs. As my husband says, anything more than extra strength Tylenol and I have to be cautious. This is sadly not far from the truth. I have just chosen to avoid it because I know how my body will react, not something I willing to risk. Secondly, as a teacher, I feel it would set a terrible example for my students. I know that I am not their sole influence, but should be trying to set a better example than most of their influences.

Alcohol - I do enjoy the adult beverage, but again in a responsible fashion. I know my limits and try desperately to stay within those limits. However, that does not mean that I will not over-indulge from time to time as long as I know that I have someone to make sure that I am safely home. I know without a doubt that it would be simple to fall into a pattern of drinking to excess, particularly when under an enormous about of stress. It is something I have be aware of while drinking. I do have the annoying habit of not having many hangovers in my life (not to say that I haven't pushed the boundaries of drinking where I should have had a hangover but do not.) which annoys the hell out of most of the people in my friend circle who are not as fortunate.

For me, I think it is about knowing your limitations and knowing what consequences you are or are not willing to accept. That is not to say though that I have not been part of an intervention to help friends who are struggling with drug/alcohol addiction, unfortunately I have been and they make my heart hurt. I think about the idea of being trapped in a place where the addiction has taken over your life and how awful that must be - pain beyond anything I can imagine. But, I will always stand by my friends and love them when they struggle to love themselves because they have done it for me in different circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment